Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a zookeeper? If so, a Zookeeper for the Day
experience could be perfect for you!
The Zookeeper for the Day
experience involves a cross-section of the animals we have here at the zoo. Our regular zookeepers might be asked to work on any of our animal sections, and you’ll be no different! Whether you’re chopping up fruit for the lemurs, sweeping up after the meerkats or taking observations on tiger behavior, you’ll get a unique insight into life behind the scenes at the zoo.
10.00am The experience begins with a breakfast briefing in the café. You’ll meet your Keeper for a Day Host, who will talk you through the day’s activities and the animals you’ll be meeting - and how to work safely with them.
- 10.30am Morning animal checks – you’ll visit the animals you’re going to be working with and do a visual check on them to make sure they’re fit and well. Every keeper does this before they begin their day’s work.
- 11.00am Cleaning animal enclosures – this is the part where you use a broom or shovel!
You might also help weigh some of the animals and fill in charts.
- 1.00pm Lunchtime with your Host – take a break from the hard work.
- 1.30pm Prepare big cat enrichment and help prepare food for other animals.
- 2.30pm Come behind the scenes to watch the afternoon big cat feed, and take notes of how the cat responded to your enrichment.
- 3pm Time for a cup of tea.
- 3.15pm Afternoon animal feeds and final checks on animals.
- 4.00pm Time to go home, with lots of brilliant memories!
How to Book
There is one experience available every Saturday from April - October. We are not currently planning on running this experience outside those months.
Other days of the week may be available on enquiry depending on staff availability. The experience runs from 10am - 4pm and is for one person.
If you have a particular date in mind we recommend you book prior to purchase. Please contact Steve on 01983 40388301983 403883 or email him at email@example.com.
If you would like to purchase an open ticket you can buy this online today.
Please note that you must book this experience in advance.
Who can participate?
This experience is for people who are 18 or over. It is not suitable for pregnant women or nursing mothers.
If you have a mobility issue or learning disability please contact us before booking to discuss your needs.
Please Register before purchasing