Work Experience - Applications OPEN 1 September 2019
Applications for work experience
Applications for work experience for 2019 open on 1st September 2019 and close on 31st October 2019.
We allocate 8 places a year to students who are aged 18 or over at the time that they take up their work experience with the zoo. Trainees shadow qualified and experienced keepers in some of our animal sections and learn skills in basic animal husbandry. Please note that we cannot guarantee that you will work with any particular species.
The trainee will undertake the following key tasks:
- Cleaning and maintaining animal enclosures
- Food preparation for the animals
- Some feeding of the animals
The work is physically demanding, so trainees will need to be fit and healthy. Competition for places is high, so we also apply the following selection criteria when short-listing applicants. Please read the criteria bulleted below very carefully as you must be able to answer 'yes' to each before submitting your application for work experience to the zoo.
- Candidates must be aged 18 years old (minimum age) at the time that they undertake their work experience here at the zoo.
- Candidates must be available for a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of 3 weeks en-block during a calendar month. Note: we take work experience students from February through to the end of September.
- Work Experience placements are offered only to those engaged in biological or animal-related courses, or enrolled on such a course. Individuals should be seriously considering a career in the field of Zoology, zoo keeping or animal husbandry.
- Priority is given to candidates for whom work experience is a compulsory part of their course.
- Financial assistance is not available from the zoo to work experience students. All travel, subsistence and accommodation expenses must be borne by the student.
- Candidates will be required to wear their own suitable clothing, including footwear with steel toe protection, whilst undertaking work experience at the zoo.
If you answered 'yes' to the above criteria, please submit an application for work experience to the zoo on our official application form. Your application must be received by us between 1st September and 31st October 2019 for places in 2020.